Thermoforming is the process of heating huge plastic sheets into a very high temperature and cooling them in the required format. Vacuum forming is a sub process or a type of thermoforming where vacuum is applied in between the molds and the plastic to create various shapes. Thermoforming has several advantages and disadvantages compared to the other plastic molding methods like injection molding. In addition to vacuum forming, several other methods like drape forming, twin sheet forming and pressure forming can be incorporated along with thermoforming to produce different kind of products. Several types of plastic can be molded in the method.
Disadvantages of thermoforming
1. Thermoforming is quite costly. Compared to other methods like injection molding, this method can cost up to 50% more.
2. Large plastic sheets are used in the method. They have to be fed into the rollers again and again. This leads to lots of extrusion.
3. The plastic street is stretched in the under pressure in this method. Hence the products formed using thermoforming break at a certain temperature.
4. Thermoforming uses more plastic than other methods. Nearly 10 to 20% more plastic is used to make any product in this method. This adds to cost and creates extensive wastage too.
5. Vacuum forming process done along with thermoforming does not give the required shapes sometimes. The whole process has to be repeated which is expensive as well as time-consuming.
Advantages of thermoforming
There are several advantages in using this method in spite of all these disadvantages.
1. Thermoforming is the only method in which huge plastic sheets can be molded into huge objects. All other methods are used for making small objects only.
2. Though the process is costly, the tools required for the trade or quite cheap. Injection molding machinery is nearly 33% costlier than the Thermoforming machinery tools.
3. Several different products can be prepared in the thermoforming machines. Only certain products can be prepared in other machines. Nearly all types of plastic can be used for the plastic. Other methods use only specific plastic for production.
4. Skilled labor to operate the thermoforming machineries are available in abundant. But, laborers capable of operating machineries of injection molding or vacuum forming are quite less.
5. Superior quality products using more plastic are formed in the method. Hence, they are more durable than the objects created through other local methods.
There are many more advantages in the method. Though costly and a bit time-consuming thermoformed products are preferred by most of the packaging industries due to their high quality.
Plastic is one of the most versatile materials in the market that you can use in a wide variety of applications. The use of plastic ranges from making of children's toys to medical applications. Plastic sheets are one of the most common types of plastics that you will come across. Just like the other plastic materials, they have a wide range of applications. When buying them you need to consider a number of factors such as:
Different sizes of PVC have different uses. When making the purchase you should note that the thicker the plastic, the more expensive it is. The different thicknesses that you have to choose from include:
Light duty: These are 86 micron units that you use in protecting your paintings, furniture, and small home appliances.
Medium duty: They are 125-micron units you use to protect furniture. You can also use the plastic to store and transit furniture. Experts have also shown that they are highly effective in ground warming.
Heavy duty: Heavy duty plastics are 250 microns in size and ideal for weatherproofing, ground warming, wall covers, lawn care, and duty transit.
To get the most from your PVC sheet, you need to get the right thickness. If you will be using the unit outdoors, especially on the ground, you should go for one that is at least medium duty.
In addition to the color being a matter of personal preference, different colors are ideal for different applications. Clear polyethylene sheets are a great choice when you are interested in natural lighting. These sheets have great applications during home repairs and construction. You can also use them in creating walls and roots in greenhouses.
Black sheets are opaque and block most of the light. Just like their clear counterparts, they have wide applications in covering furniture and floor. There are some people that buy them in order to block light from reaching unwanted areas. Black sheets are heavily used in the agricultural setting where they are used to retain ground and keep weeds out.
These are two of the main factors that you should consider when buying PVC sheets. When making the purchase, consider the size of the sheet that you want. This should be informed by the area you want to use them. Also, pay close attention to the quality of the sheets. Just like when buying any other material, go for the highest quality of PVC that you can afford.